Labels

Monday, July 16, 2012

Media Center Thingies

So here I am, an Apple TV upstairs and a Roku downstairs, Plex Media Server and iTunes running on the Mac Mini downstairs. I am a little frustrated that manufacturers want to have it all to themselves and not let individuals have a choice in how they view their media. Well, now I can watch the audio and video that I have stored away on the Mac Mini, but right now I have duplicate files on the system. I am not exactly sure of how PMS and iTunes will play together. I do know that I can let PMS access the iTunes library so that is one way of reducing the amount of files available. Right now I have 3TB of storage to do my thing, but I am the type of person that watches how much data I store since I have been burned in the past.

I am seriously thinking of moving the desktop system from upstairs to downstairs and plugging it into the HDTV. In that way, I should be able to use WMC to play the TV channels from the HDHomeRun Prime. Such a simple idea and yet to get it to work, it causes great grief. Not sure what the next round of experiments will bring.


- LW