Labels

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Some thing that I want to do with VMs

Having a Mac Mini (MM) Server is actually an advantage at times.  In my network, I have a number of VMs that perform different functions that I am playing around with.  The trick it would seem is getting useful vlan activity out of it.  I am just starting to get the hang of how to set up vlans both in the Mac Mini sense and in the VMWare Fusion sense.  The new version of VMWare Fusion will give some added capability that I did not have before.  I have some basic functionality in the network that I want to be able to achieve:

1. I want to have some basic functionality in the MM that I don't want anyone else to have access to from my network, e.g. the Win7 VM and some of the programs on the MM.
2. On the other hand, there are some Media applications, e.g. PMS and iTunes, that I need the rest of my network to have access to, across multiple vlans.
3. I have a vlan specific to administration in my network that I want both my MM and my Win7 laptop to have access to (the Win7 laptop only when I am logged on as myself).
4. The MM hosts my VPN and I must control access to my network via specific vlans that can be accessed from the outside.
5. I have the following vlans specific to the MM: Media, Experimental, Personal, and DMZ.
6. I want an Ubuntu/SVN VM to have access to the personal vlan.
7. I want an Ubuntu/XBMC VM to have access to the media vlan.
8. I want an Ubuntu/Robot VM, running Robot Operating System, to have access to the experimental vlan.
9. I want a Trac/SVN VM and an Ubuntu/Drupal VM to have access to the DMZ vlan.
10. Control of #1, #2, and #3 will be routing initiated by an Ubuntu/Router/Switch VM.  The preferred router would be a DD-WRT based VM, but I want some basic routing functionality that I can control.
11. Even though I can gain access to the login screens of each of the VMs, I would still like to have the capability of loading a webmin client into each of the Ubuntu based VMs and have access to it via the administrative vlan.  Is this even doable?

More on this later.

-- LW