Labels

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Got the Screen Replicator to Work

I have been trying to figure out what I am doing wrong with the screen replication on the RPi. Then it hit me, I wasn't using the right XWindows display. I was relying on tightvncserver to deliver a desktop on the iPad that was the current command login. That will not work because tightvncserver will always give back a different display/desktop as though you were a different person logging in. What I needed was to specify display :0. Here is the resulting duplicated display on my iPad 2.




Update:  it turns out there is really nothing magical here.  I used x11vnc to be the vnc server primarily because I can do some XWindows kinds of things with it.  The launch was by "x11vnc -display :0" and that set up the vnc server to display the current logged in screen.  Note that the other part of the issue was to set up a wi-fi access point that the iPad could access.  The iPad 2 is running iSSH which is a fairly decent SSH/VNC/RDP client on iOS devices.  Now that the screen replicator is out of the way, I can concentrate on the rest of the 1-port router that I was trying to build.  Additional information on using VNC servers can be found at http://elinux.org/RPi_VNC_Server.

Old Notes:
Over the weekend I worked on the 1-Port Router idea.  I started with some knowns and quickly became bogged down in some details.  I started with implementing the instructions at http://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-wifi-access-point.  That didn't work so well until I realized that I had unplugged the connection to the incoming house router on Saturday because there was an area Verizon service outage.  Once I got that situated the install went without a hitch (I also did not specify the wireless driver in the hostapd instructions).  I was able to use the RPi as a Wi-Fi access port with the connection to the outside via the native ethernet port.  Next up, I wanted to get a separate wireless card to connect to my home network.  My reasoning was to have the ability to re-use the 1-Port Router on the outside, notably at work.  At work is a proxy that we allow guest access to; perfect for making modifications to the RPi during lunch break.  I use this with my iOS devices and it keeps me out of the corporate network and allows me to go pretty much anywhere.  I completely unable to get the new wireless usb adapter to work.  It almost seemed that the driver was not being recognized, however, when I plugged the new wireless usb adapter into the RPi first, it assumed the role of the Wi-Fi access port.  So now I am confused.  How do I get a multi-functioning router to work the way that I want it to?

I also played around with setting up my iPad 2 to be used as a monitor for the RPi.  I have a Logitech wireless keyboard w/usb dongle that I can use for the keyboard and trackpad, but I wanted a separate monitor that would be portable.  I have my iPad 2 with me at work and I thought that would be a perfect choice.  I have an iSSH app that gives me both VNC and RDP access and I was thinking that I could link the iPad2 into the RPi Wi-Fi access port and use a VNC connection from the basis ip address.  However, when the Wi-Fi access port was actually running, and I had installed TightVNCServer I was unable to connect to the RPi at the same screen that was being controlled by the Logitech keyboard.  So back to the drawing board.