Labels

Monday, November 4, 2013

Found an interesting thing while using one of my routers

This weekend while fooling around with one of my routers, I chanced to put the WAN input of the main router onto my DMZ vlan.  I was able to have a full connection to the outside after I got rid of the first ethernet cable that I was using (it did not register as being connected).  When I connected the main router to my DMZ vlan, I noticed that I had a GHz connection (thanks to the GBit switch that I was using) and I was able to connect to the outside with no apparent slowdown of the speed.

I still have an issue though, because I set up the ActionTec router to route specific ports to my main router.  However, with this new connection, I have a means of controlling pretty much everything in the house.  I was wondering how I might fit my new FVS318N router into the mix.  Originally, I was going to put it upstairs and replace 3 devices (my main router, the upstairs switch and the router I use with the media vlan downstairs).  The media vlan router is connected into the DMZ vlan in the downstairs bedroom.  I was going to use the FVS318N to replace it as I could set up multiple dhcp servers, each tuned to a separate vlan.  This has been the issue throughout my house as I expand the capabilities of my setup.

Sounds like I need to explore a little more of what vlans can do for me.