Labels

Thursday, June 26, 2014

General Purpose RPi WiFi Thingy

I encountered another one of those interesting snags at work where you wished you had a device that did something out of the ordinary.  With that in mind, I want to build a general purpose WiFi-Ethernet interface using a Raspberry Pi.  I am willing to sacrifice an RPi to get what I want.  This also should serve to get me back into the experiment game.  I want the RPi to serve as a couple of different types of Router and Access Point configurations.  No fancy VLAN stuff, just the basics.  But since I occasionally need Wireshark and TOR I have some alternates.  So what I want to do is the following:



1. Router #1
  -- Ethernet -> Firewall (w/wo TOR Proxy) -> Ethernet (w/dns&dhcp)

2. Router #2
  -- Ethernet -> Firewall (w/wo TOR Proxy) -> WiFi (w/dns&dhcp)

3. Access Point #1
  -- Ethernet -> Bridge (w/wo Wireshark) -> WiFi (wo/dns&dhcp)

4. Router #3
  -- WiFi -> WiFi -> Firewall (w/wo TOR Proxy) -> Ethernet (w/dns&dhcp)

5. Router #4 (wireless hotspot)
  -- WiFi -> WiFi -> Firewall (w/wo TOR Proxy) -> WiFi (w/dns&dhcp)

6. Access Point #2 (Repeater)
  -- WiFi -> WiFi -> Bridge (w/wo Wireshark) -> WiFi (wo/dns&dhcp)

7. Client Bridge #1
  -- WiFi -> WiFi -> Bridge (w/wo Wireshark) -> Ethernet (wo/dns&dhcp)

8. Client Bridge #2 (Wireshark Passthrough)
  -- Ethernet -> Bridge (w/Wireshark) -> Ethernet (wo/dns&dhcp)

I think that I will work this up both on a Raspberry Pi and on a VM to run on my work laptop.  The front connections for WiFi (#4, 5, 6, and 7) should allow for capture pages (e.g., Panera).  The back connections for WiFi (#2 and 5) should allow for WPA/WPA2 and a known SSID.