Labels

Friday, August 1, 2014

Weather Station Project #7 - Display of PWS Information

It occurred to me that I might want to display some of the weather station information that is being created by the Raspberry Pi weewx software.  The RPi that I am using does have a web server running in it and I could have the weewx software extract a specialized data stream which I could display in the living room.  Since I am thinking this would be detached from the current system I would need to sacrifice another RPi and connect it to an unused LCD panel to display the data in real time.  I guess that I could use Chromium for this.  Something to think about.

Update: I did find an interesting simplified instruction for this at http://lokir.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/raspberry-pi-kiosk-mode-with-chromium/ .  To repeat those instructions (reblogged):

1. Install chromium, x11-xserver-utils and unclutter

sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
sudo apt-get install chromium x11-xserver-utils unclutter

2. We need to prevent screen from going blank and disable screen saver.
– edit /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart and comment # screen saver line and add those lines:

@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@chromium --kiosk --incognito http://some.web.


Looks simple enough!