Labels

Thursday, December 29, 2016

IPSec VLAN #2 - Hardening Rules

After review of information in this SANS 2006 document, I am a little more confident that I can implement the Gateway into my house with a more controlled hardening.  This document is a design using open source components for an Intrusion Detection/Prevention System.  It applies to a small to medium network which is appropriate for my home environment.  My thought is to have this implemented prior to the OpenVPN server in the IPSec VLAN setup that I am building.  Additionally, I will be using SELinux to lock down the services running on my OpenVPN RPi server.  So at this point the following would be needed:

  1. IDS/IPS in the flow between the internet connection and the OpenVPN server.
  2. SELinux used to lock down services in the RPi server.
  3. Checks to make sure that the OpenVPN stream is not broken/compromised, if so then stop all traffic incoming to the home network (meaning the IPSec streams would stop).
  4. Audit logs of activity and regular checking of the logs to ensure that nothing got by.
  5. No DHCP service on No Man's Land LAN.
  6. No ICMP ping responses from any device connected to No Man's Land LAN, this might include any detection of scanning in the network and/or detection of pen test tools.