Labels

Saturday, January 6, 2018

LED - Light Controller #3 - I always seem to never have enough time to complete projects

As usual, I am here after a long period of time without completion of my project.  During my time away from my little projects, it occurred to me that I might have a problem with the way that I was doing this project. I had a workable solution, bread-boarded part of it and connected the raspberry pi to it, putting a simple python program onto it and exercising the 8-channel relay.  After checking things out, I started putting the elements together and soldering them to a perma-proto board from Adafruit.  Sure enough, when I started soldering the 24 pin chips onto a breadboard I ended up smoking them.  I found myself completely unable to switch the 8-channel relay at this point.

At this point I started rethinking my approach to development.  Even though I had plenty of Raspberry Pis to go around, I started thinking about other solutions.  In my network, I have a vlan specific to Experimenting.  I also have a bunch of switches that allow me to setup links all over the house.  It occurred to me that maybe I could use an ESP8266 NodeMCU chip to receive commands and cause the switching to occur.  That way, I could use a Raspberry Pi to do the commands.  I could also simply print each of the boxes and tailor them to my circuitry.  So that is where I am at.