Labels

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Added some patch panels to the network over the weekend

Well, I broke down and finally added a couple of patch panels (PP) to the homelab over the weekend.  I was getting tired of having to reconstruct connections whenever I wanted to move equipment from one room to the next.  My homelab is distributed across the house and I like to think that I can move and update things at will.  The problem was that I could not conveniently switch things around because of having to move existing Ethernet cables from one location to the next.  What I needed was a set of Ethernet cables that didn't move but still allowed me to connect at will, hence the use of patch panels.

Right now I am concentrating on getting the minimal number of patch panels up along with keeping equipment and connections the same.  This is little more than routing an Ethernet cable to a patch panel and then using a patch cable to go from the PP to the device.  In the throes of putting the initial two PP together, I made the mistake of routing a piece of equipment to the patch panel as though it were part of the infrastructure.  I now know to keep lines primarily from PP to PP within the network.

I started out with a 16 port and one 24 port PP that I placed in two locations.  The first location was in the tool room where my main switch is located, that got a 16 port PP.  The main switch is like the hub for most of the other managed switches.  The second location was part of the computer room shelf where I am not concentrating most of my efforts.  I originally drew up a diagram of what I wanted to do first followed by a diagram of where I wanted to go.  I followed the first diagram pretty closely but ended up with a lot of differences due to the position of the ports and other equipment that was around it.