Labels

Thursday, July 30, 2020

Catastrophic Surge Failure in the Network!

I am writing this for others to learn from my mistakes.  On July 23, 2020 at approximately 9:30 pm I experienced a power outage for about 30 seconds.  There was a loud bang followed by the power going out.  I looked up just in time to see some sparks fall from the pole outside my house.  This power outage produced a surge that took out:

  1. my Verizon ONT
  2. my Cisco RV325 router ($260 used)
  3. my Netgear M4100-26G 26 port switch ($260 - $525 new)
  4. two Netgear GS108Tv2 ProSafe 8 port switches ($66 - $80 new each)
  5. my TiVo Bolt ($175 new)


Unfortunately, I didn't have any surge protectors in the circuit coming into the house.  This was not an electrical surge that took out the equipment, except for the ONT.  The surge came through both the Cable and the Ethernet coming out of the ONT.  Fortunately for me I had some spare router equipment (Edgerouter-X) and some unmanaged switches.  Since I had patch panels it became an easy rerouting of the cabling to get my Media up and running and get connected back to Verizon Fios after the ONT was changed out.

My plan going forward is:

  1. put in a Cable surge protector between the ONT and the splitter outside my house
  2. put in an Ethernet surge protector between the ONT and the main router
  3. at each of the 5 points in my network, put a conditioned power UPS with both Ethernet and COAX surge protectors

Please learn from my mistake, this was expensive to undo.