Labels

Thursday, January 7, 2021

Looking at alternatives for the IP Power Strip project

 I have recently discovered the whole Tasmota thing.  It occurred because I finally started setting up some Sonoff switches and Shelly pucks for use with my HA-IOT server.  When I finally pushed the first Tasmota load to a Sonoff switch and set it up as an extension cord.  When I went to Node Red and started controlling the switch, a lot of lights went on in my head.  

Up to this point I have been concentrating on the IP Power Strip as something being controlled by a Raspberry Pi.  Now, I don't need that.  I did however discover that China is going out of their way to prevent the Tasmota from being installed on their products, so OTA changes cannot occur.  They are interested in these products coming under their ecosystem and no other.  I discovered that with a Geeni smart power strip which I was unable to update from an OTA Tasmota push.  I have not at this point, looked into a physical connection with my development system.  I am pretty sure that the initial load onto this device will have had to be done by a physical connection.  I might have to unsolder something to do it.

This change has opened a whole different aspect to getting lights on and off.  I am anxious to get the Shelly pucks to work in my light switches.  As long as I have enough IP address space I should be good.