Labels

Thursday, January 7, 2021

Thinking of making the IOT network self contained

 It occurred to me that at some time in the future, I might have problems with my network again.  But this time I will probably be more dependent on the elements of the network since I am highly dependent on the router providing DHCP IP addresses and the WAP providing the wifi connection for other elements that require support.  I now think it would be wise to be able to isolate my HA-IOT network from the other part of my network, and still be able to have it work if things happen.  Since I use an Atom based computer for the Home-assistant and MQTT base, I might be able to use that to provide both a WAP and a DHCP/DNS server for the network.  If I do that the wifi port can provide connection for the wifi components, the z-wave adapter for the z-wave components, and if the DHCP/DNS server extends to the HA-IOT vlan as it's control, I don't have to depend upon the router to give me those elements.  If I go on a trip, I can cut off everything else and still have the HA-IOT network working as it needs to be.  Since it is on an UPS, it won't be going down anytime soon.  I just have to figure out how to accomplish this on the Atom processor.

Update: over the weekend 1/9 - 10/2021, I modified the HA-IOT vlan to be completely isolated from other vlans, but at the same time able to communicate within the vlan itself.  It is also isolated from modifying the router or any other switch component in the network.  I am also thinking of changing the bandwidth to the internet to something that is below video capability.  My cameras are on a separate vlan which is isolated from everything due to their nature of using an external server.