Labels

Monday, March 15, 2021

Changeover of Ubuntu Server to Proxmox Box

 I have been wanting to try my hand at a Type 1 hypervisor for a while but it was too expensive.  I looked at ESXi, but decided that each change of the software meant a world of hurt for the VMs that would be running.  I do like to use KVM and have wanted to learn LXC containers, so I decided to change out the Ubuntu Server and go with Proxmox.

I changed the HW for the Proxmox server to have a 1TB SSD, repurposed the 4TB spinner from the Ubuntu Server to use, and reconnected the DVD drive.  I did a fresh install from the Proxmox 6.3-1 iso that I downloaded from the site and came up running very quickly.  I then added a number of OS isos, including CentOS, Ubuntu, and Fedora.  I was able to quickly spin up Ubuntu and start working on the challenge of other VMs and LXCs.

I connected the GUI/SSH port of the Proxmox to my admin vlan and ran the first Ubuntu VM on my Pers vlan.  So far so good.