Labels

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Future Rack Setup

Background: I have a distributed HomeLab that I have built up over the years that I had become quite proud of.  It allowed me to move equipment about the house and make changes as I needed as well as include new equipment that I purchase.  This included at least 8 different vlans for different purposes, including separating media and IOT equipment.  Equipment consisted of an Edgerouter-12, M4100-26g switch, five GS108Tv2/v3 managed switches throughout the house, Proxmox server (FX8320 w/16GB), Home assistant server (Zotec Atom D525), Mac Mini server, several Cameras, a couple of Edgerouter-Xs, and several Raspberry Pi’s performing different functions including interfacing a personal weather station.  My main hobbies include working with the RPis and Arduino and doing various networking experiments (I’m an engineer by profession).






That is all changing now that I am downsizing into an apartment in a month.  I’m moving into an environment that has wi-fi only (no Ethernet in the walls, so wi-if bridge for the rack), and no way to change out switches or door locks for automation.  I am limiting myself to the one 15U rack and some plastic tubs for extra electronics to play with.  So, currently the rack contains: an Edgerouter-12, an M4100-26g switch, one GS108Tv2 switch, the Proxmox server, two WD MyCloud NAS, and eight Raspberry Pi’s.  The Proxmox server is in a regular desktop case laying on its side (soon to be put in a 2U case).


Other than rack mounting the Mac Mini, what other things can I set up for both now and in the future?