Labels

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

HomeLabUpdate #02 - What am I going to do with the Proxmox server?

After some starts and stops with the Proxmox server, I am determined to change it to allow some additional capabilities.  I have had heat problems that were solved when I put a second fan in the case and connected it to the power supply.  The problem is I only have 360 watts coming from the power supply and I have to work within that limit.  I think I have come to the end of what I can do with a 1TB SSD drive and two 4TB drives.  I may be able to add an additional 1TB SSD drive, but that remains to be seen.  I want to maintain the motherboard and the drives at a temperature value that will not cause early failure.  I am thinking of the following:

  • Add an additional 1 TB SSD drive and use ZFS for the file system for redundancy
  • Move the files off of one of the 4TB drives and use ZFS for the combination 2@4TB drives for redundancy
  • Setup the 4TB ZFS redundant drive to allow spill over of the LVM-thin components as well as use for general storage from the NFS server
  • Update Proxmox to version 7
  • Update Proxmox to use OVS as the bridging mechanism (might require addition of ifupdown2)
  • Install Mac OS and Windows 10 in two different VMs
  • Add an additional display card to allow iGPU passthrough for the Windows 10 VM / Ubuntu VM
  • Start integrating the outside RPis with the Proxmox server
This is the short list as it stands now.  First off I want to keep things below about 60 degrees C within the cabinet and work within the 360 watt budget.  Currently, the temperature of components within the Proxmox cabinet range between 35 to 45 degrees C.