Labels

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Got New Ceton Echo WMC Extender

I received a Ceton Echo Windows Media Center Extender (http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/) which was delivered yesterday.  The full up versions of these things only came out on 30 Nov (which was last week).  First appearances were that this would be fine for eliminating the Verizon STB in the basement.  Small form factor and very quiet.  However, I was completely unable to setup the CE with my current WMC Atom based processor.  The error that I was getting back indicated that something was out of whack with my firewall setup.  So I had to abandon my efforts last night until I had enough time to do more research.

I happened upon the CE installation guide online (different than what was on the quick start guide included with the CE) at http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/54/26/echo---installation-guide.  What this is telling me is that there are a whole bunch of ports that need to be available on the main WMC pc for the CE to work properly.  What I am having a little trouble with is the two ports that are open to the internet for download and upload.  I will need to do a little more research into this.

Update: Well after about five or six tries I was finally able to get the Ceton echo to connect to the Windows media center. What I experienced from that point, was that it was pretty much like having the windows media center right there in front of me. I was able to take a video and was able to switch and move between various things as well as start a recording, but I have the recording going while I have the CE off. Time will tell how well this is going to work in my setup.

-- LW