Labels

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Strange Port Openings Appeared

While I was going through the motions of trying to get the Ceton echo (CE) to authenticate against my WMC pc, I encountered so many problems that I started turning off all my controls.  In particular, I turned on uPnP on my router and took down my Windows firewall on the WMC pc.  After I that I was successful in getting the CE to authenticate.

This morning I was fiddling with the router and I remembered that I still had uPnP running.  When I went to turn it off, I noticed that the Teredo tunneling protocol had been activated from both the WMC pc and the CE ip addresses.  (I looked it up)  The Teredo tunneling protocol is a way of tunneling through a router that has IPv6 turned off, which is the case on my router.  I turned off IPv6 because of all the things that I had read concerning bypassing routers.  Symantec has a nice writeup on how this protocol can be used by botnets, viruses, etc. to wreak havoc on a network.  Needless to say, I eliminated the Teredo ports and turned off uPnP altogether.

I am assuming that the CE will still work with the WMC PC because Microsoft should have already given out certs for the connection.  There should no longer be a need to pass back any information.  I will test it out tonight but the theory is that this setup should work without having uPnP or those ports available.  Otherwise, I am really concerned that I have an opening to the outside that I did not authorize.

BTW, what are people who aren't tech knowledgeable supposed to do?

-- LW