Labels

Monday, June 17, 2013

Thinking of some Proxy add-ons

The TOR proxy seems like a good idea for using a spare RPi.  I wouldn't do it if its your only RPi though.  Too much of a chance that you will just keep using it over and over.  I was thinking of adding a second wireless adapter and making it a wireless-to-wireless proxy instead of a wireless-to-ethernet proxy.  In fact I was also thinking of adding a second ethernet to allow a connection via a ethernet switch to the LAN side of the proxy.  Then what I would have would be a wireless access port, with the capability of connecting either through a wireless adapter or ethernet on the WAN side and wireless and/or ethernet on the LAN side.  I would also want to be able to use shorewall to manipulate the capabilities a little better.  Although the Adafruit instructions create a nat firewall that is adequate, I would still like to have a finer resolution on what I will allow.  I wonder if this would be a good fit for the 2x16 LCD screen with buttons from Adafruit that I have to be able to set up the correct connections from.    Maybe something like this:



In addition, I could use CURL to access the internet through my companies Guest account.  There is a Cisco Web Authentication component, hence the need for CURL to authenticate prior to connection.  The connection would be something like:

OP=`curl -k -d "buttonClicked=4" -d "err_flag=0" -d "info_flag=0" -d "username=guestname" -d "password=guestpassword" https://wirelesssubdomain.mycompany.com/login.html`;

That would be a very useful item at work and at home.  Hmmmm.  I have to think some more about this.