Labels

Friday, January 9, 2015

Weather Station Project #13 - Thinking of a Different Way to Send Snow Related Weather Data

I am sitting in the Detroit airport waiting for my flight and it occurred to me that I might be able to complement my weather station with some additional data. What I would do is get the additional data, such as snow accumulations and do a surface extrapolation to find approximately what it should be near me. Then, I could use some laser scanning techniques to extract a free fall snow drift. I would need to shelter the area where I would determine the size from wind (so that it doesn't drift from other places, giving a false reading). By using a laser scanning technique, I could measure the height of the snow pile and thus the amount of snowfall. Before I send the information out in my normal weather stream, I could use the extrapolated point to determine if my findings are within the "ballpark" of a correct amount. This would give me some confidence in my findings. Again, this could be transmitted via a wifi link to my network to be combined with other weather information.

I should think about how I am going to interject the other three sensors with this type of thing.

Maybe I should think about opening up a blog on the Weather Underground to talk about DIY and Hobbyist Built Weather Stations.