Labels

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Rearranging the Network for Fun

Well how annoying.  I haven't been blogging to this page for a while so I might want to catch up with what has been going on in the network at home.  I recently added a Personal Weather Station (PWS) and a Cisco router to the mix.  I find that once again I am not really trusting of the Verizon folk and I want to keep separate from them as much as is possible.

I did some wiring changes to the 4th switch so that the router only needs 2 wires through the wall; one from the switch in the side room (connected to the other 3 switches, with trunk lines) and one directly from the Verizon FIOS ActionTec router (as the WAN input).  The PWS is connected from a Raspberry Pi to a 3rd wire into the side room and into the 4th switch where it goes into a port with a "patch" VLAN that keeps the flow of information outside of my home network.  This "patch" VLAN then goes from switch #1 to the ActionTec.  Thus, I only have two connections now to the ActionTec.  I have effectively isolated the traffic from the PWS from everything else (as long as the switch on the ActionTec router acts like a switch).

I am also in the process of standing up a Ceton InfiniTV 6 to replace my HD HomeRun Prime.  The difference is 6 tuners instead of 3, and this is a pooled device; meaning I just grab one of the tuners from whatever is connected to it.  Since I really don't believe that my ZTec will be able to keep up with 6 tuners, I am going to stand up a Windows VM in the Mac Mini to host the Windows Media Center to the two Ceton Echo WMC extenders.

I might also use the 1 to 1 NAT capability of the Cisco router so that I can access all media devices from the subnet on the ActionTec.  This will simplify the use of iPhone/iPad apps to control the media devices.

I have some time this weekend to start making all of this work together.  Hopefully, I can get it into some form that will be acceptable to the wife and we can start getting rid of the FIOS Stb and VCRs to save some rental fees ($33 each month).