Labels

Monday, February 8, 2016

Rearranging the Network

I bought a TP-Link SG2424 24-port managed switch over the weekend.  This thing is quite the beast and is made for a rack mount:


I am hoping to replace the Netgear GS108T 8-port switch in the center of my network; because I am running out of ports to use.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the GS108T, but as you can see, I have a number of cables that are not connected because of lack of ports:


I am also thinking of other types of things that I can do, like using this switch placement as a main switch point for the network since it is right outside where I have my Fios Quantum router.  The biggest problem I am facing at this moment is how to mount the 2424.  The current mounting is a simple sheet of plywood with two screws that the GS108T mounts onto.  With a rack mount size device, I am going to have to raise it further to get over the heating duct, and potentially have issues with heat and cold on the device.