Labels

Friday, February 26, 2016

Switch Install Failure

As I said in the previous post, I took the time to install the TP-Link SG2424 24-port managed switch under the Verizon Quantum Gateway and setup a pass-through vlan so that I could check to see if the switch was going to work in the network.  I should have tried out some other things as well.

It turns out that the SG2424 and the Quantum don't like each other.  When I set up the SG2424 with the same settings as the GS108T, moved over the Ethernet lines and attempted to get everything running, the problems began.  Problem One: the SG2424 would not keep all of its settings between reboots.  I kept having to reset the IP address of the switch even though I made sure that I hit the confirm button.  It just would not keep the new IP address and kept reverting back to the initial IP address which conflicted with other elements in my network.  Problem Two: the SG2424 seemed to not like pass-throughs where the I came from a different switch (the GS1-08Ts) through the SG2424 to the Quantum Gateway.  Problem Three: it would take sometimes 5 to 10 minutes before the Ethernet activity would settle down between the SG2424 and the Quantum.  It appeared that the SG2424 kept resetting itself multiple times.  Problem Four: After multiple resets, the traffic for my media equipment which flowed through the SG2424 to the Quantum would refuse to come up.

I took the SG2424 back to Micro Center where I bought it.  I will review the Netgear GS724 and other switches like it to see if I can use it to replace the one GS108T.  Very frustrating!