Labels

Monday, April 18, 2016

Built Up a VM Server Over the Weekend

So my company has an e-recycling day coming up and my wife has been bugging me about getting rid of old computers and the like.  It turns out that after looking over everything I ended up with 6 towers left after removing hard drives and extracting parts for use later.  I also added a whole bunch of misc. motherboards and other obsolete equipment to the stack.  This will go out on Earth Day for e-recycling.

Which brings me to what I did over the weekend.  I built up a server using one remaining tower.  I populated it with a AMD FX 8320/motherboard/8 GB ram/1TB hard drive.  My objective was to build up a Server which I could use to host a number of VMs which would run continuously in my network.  I am also interested in setting up an Ethernet interface on the Server which would connect to a number of VLANs from my home network.  The VLANs would be routed to one or more of the VMs.  I hope to have an internal Hacking VLAN setup in this manner since I know that I can get vulnerable VMs from different sites on the internet.

To start this off, I was able to setup an Ubuntu 15.10 Server using my portable USB DVD drive from my Mac Mini.  I changed out the power supply and added a SATA based DVD drive and a SATA based removable hard drive.  I then installed KVM and attempted my first install of a VM from an ISO file.  That took a very long time.  So, I now know that if I can get the VM already made I should do so.

More info later.