Labels

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Updated Mac Mini to El Capitan - now the issues have started

I decided on the first of the week to update my Mac Mini (mid-2011) to the current OS X called El Capitan.  Up until this time I was using Mavericks and had all of my system setup and operating.  What I failed to remember was that when you update a Mac systems OS from one major version to another, it pretty much resets all of your information to a default.  For instance, I use SSH to tunnel into my home network while at work (to be changed to an IPSec VPN in the near future).  When I updated to the latest release, my Mac Mini was reset back to a DHCP setup with SSH turned off.  So I ended up having to reset my Mac Mini back to the internal IP that I normally use (and that the router is pointing to for open ports).  I also had to turn the SSH back on.

I was a little reluctant about changing the Server component of this system because I had heard some bad things about issues and problems.  So far the update (which cost me all of $20) has been fairly smooth, I haven't seen any real hiccups - this too may change.  I did notice that all of the VLAN setups coming into the Mac Mini have all disappeared and I will now have to reconfigure them.  That is okay, since I was intent on re-doing them anyway.  I was somewhat surprised to find my wireless turned on.  That has been dealt with.

This morning I was able to ssh into the Mac Mini from work and so far all is well.