Labels

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Surprised at the changes in 18.04 LTS

So I went ahead and updated my Ubuntu Server from 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS.  I did this in order to stay current with the loads from ubuntu and look at the new stuff at the same time.  So I performed the upgrade over the weekend; I did have some issues with the vlan setups but didn't think anything of it.  I sort of kinda followed the instructions here.  Now I have discovered that the way that Ubuntu handles networks has completely changed in 18.04 LTS (see article here on NetPlan).

So now I need to look into NetPlan and figure out how it impacts with OpenVSwitch (OVS) since I am about to use that to do some remote vlan stuff.

Update: after requesting some help in the Reddit Ubuntu forum, I found out that NetPlan is not a typical Linux community project.  This means that it is somewhat of an Ubuntu.com project.  That being said, the responder showed me how to take NetPlan out of the equation.  Instructions are at UbuntuGeek, and are duplicated here:


Note:- This is not recommended and this is for advanced users only

Edit the /etc/default/grub file

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Add the following line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="netcfg/do_not_use_netplan=true"

Save and exit the file

Now update the grub using the following command

sudo update-grub

You need to install ifupdown package

sudo apt install ifupdown

Now you can add all the interface details in /etc/network/interfaces file and reboot the ubuntu PC/server.