Labels

Thursday, June 20, 2019

Network General - added an EdgeRouter X as an OpenVPN server

I had attempted to use one of the GL-iNet routers (AR800M) to act as an OpenVPN server on my network.  I setup one of the vlans from the Main Router and had a whole lot of problems with the setup.  I discovered that the EdgeRouter-X (ER-X) was only $65 from MicroCenter and a lot of people indicated that is was an easy setup for OpenVPN.  I decided that what I would do was setup a vlan from the Cisco router with one of my unused vlans that flows throughout the network.  So I designated one of my many vlans to be an “OpenVPN passthrough”.  This will be similar in concept to the No-Mans Land vlan that I have been using for some time.  The “OpenVPN passthrough” vlan will be setup so that you cannot change the Cisco router and you cannot access any other vlan.  I will also punch some ports through the Cisco router to the Wan port of the ER-X.  The OpenVPN setup is shown at https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015971688-EdgeRouter-OpenVPN-Server.  I have found this to be a very easy setup.  I also generated some additional OpenVPN client cents to use with my cell phones, iPads, and laptops.