Labels

Sunday, August 16, 2020

The Network is Starting to Show Signs of Life

After much pushing and proding, I can now see the network coming back to life.  I was very quickly able to get the Media portion of the network back online.  But I was having trouble getting the other things like the printer and the WiFi working again.  The main culprit was the Netgear switch that controlled the printer, HA Server, and UniFi WAP.  When that went down I couldn’t control anything because of the multiple vlan nature of my network.  The switch had all the appearance of being fried, and since I had not succeeded in gettin extra port connections in one of the patch panels upstairs I was limited in what I could do.  Fortunately, I found out that the switch I used on the Ubuntu server was still operational.  Since the Ubuntu server is currently down I decided to use the switch as a replacement for the one upstairs.

So I obtained the text configuration of the switch that failed, changed the IP, and pushed it onto the replacement.  By replacing the previous switch, I now have a working system - at least in part.  This has also given me time to think about how to get my network back and running should I have such a disaster happen again. First, I need some things to make sure that a power outage doesn’t decimate things again.  I ordered some coax surge protectors to put on the TiVo Edge and Mini. Those are installed and I should not have a problem from the coax side of things.  I also purchased a couple of Ethernet surge protectors.  Lastly I have a whole house surge protector on order that should protect that part as well.