Labels

Monday, August 17, 2020

Trying to Resurrect the WeatherPi

Now that I have most of the previous parts of the network seemingly working again (have found replacements for the two Netgear GS108Tv2s that crapped out), I can concentrate on some of the other items that seemed to have gone south.  The first up is the WeatherPi that is connected to my Personal Weather Station.  It doesn't seem to be pushing data out anymore.

I am also wondering if this would be a good time to replace the WeatherPi with a USB server and move the weewx program to the HA Server.  The HA Server is also giving me problems right now, but I can deal with that later.  First off, I am going to try to get the WeatherPi to at least push data to weather underground again.

I did manage to remove the WeatherPi from underneath the TV stand and discovered that the SD Card was pretty much done with (probably a result of the power outage).  I put a new SD Card into the RPi that used to be the WeatherPi and discovered that the RPi was okay.  The new designation was PiHoleLDAP; apparently this was the one that was going to be the one that I was going to use for the PiHole, Radius, and LDAP setup using Docker.  Which reminds me, there is no reason that I cannot run weewx under Docker, I just have to research it.

There seems to be a bit of a problem with weather underground.  Since IBM took over, the API has been removed; so things like predictions and the like are no longer available to gather for an html display.  Weewx has not been updated for Python 3, so should I go to a different outlet to publish the weather station data, or should I just abandon the weather station all together?  Part of me is saying the latter, because I still have to maintain the station, look at the stats, and generally update portions of this as my time allows.  Going into retirement, it would be a scheduled activity that I would do say once every two weeks.  Not sure if it is worth the trouble.

Update: it is looking like weewx under Docker is going to be a pain to complete.  There are a number of builds on the Docker site, but all of them are rather complicated.  I am going to have to delay getting this accomplished.