Labels

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Experiments Show PowerLine Adapters Often Don’t Work Like You Think They Should

The IT department here in the Retirement Community keeps making changes to make things good.  So it occurred to me that maybe things might have changed in my back bedroom for the good.  So I set out to find out what kind of speeds that I was getting between my input setup and my back bedroom where my HomeLab rack resides.  So I set up some speed tests using iperf on opposite sides of the input flow.  Much to my surprise, I found out that I was only getting around 38 Mbps throughput.  I had thought I was getting closer to 1 Gbps, given the type of AV2 units that I was using.  I tried different things like getting the managed switches out of the way, but still was achieving only the 38 Mbps that I had first measured.  I also tried using Speedtest.net and found that this was the max speed that I could get.

I downloaded the TP-Link app so that I could tell what the system was saying that it was getting between units.  It was displaying around 100 Mbps speed between the units, so I started looking into what kind of speeds I could expect with different wall outlets.  I brought in a different unit and added it to the mix and started moving it about the apartment to see what I could find out.  When it was plugged into a circuit that was near one of the two AV2000 units, it would register a speed of 1300-1400 Mbps, but would still measure the 100 Mbps to the other AV2000 unit.  As I was swapping them around, I could see patterns that identified a good vs bad line.  The low bandwidth is probably due to the age of the wiring in this apartment and having to go through an old breaker box.  Nothing I can do about that right now.

I am still trying to find the “sweet” spot to have equipment in the living room, but so far have not found it.

Update: so I have discovered that there are three circuit breakers that the signal is probably passing through.  One for the living room, one for the small bedroom, and one for the large bedroom.  They also appear to be on opposite sides of the mains, so much for finding a "sweet" spot to use.  I am stuck with what I have then.