Labels

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

The New Input Architecture to my HomeLab

 I think I may have solved my problem with the WiFi system here at the Retirement Community.  As I said before, this is a WiFi only environment; I can run Ethernet but not through the walls and not connected to the WiFi equipment and I have no control over the WiFi system.  The WiFi equipment has two main SSIDs, SSID1 and SSID2 in the following diagram.

The Incoming WiFi Architecture

The Incoming WiFi Architecture

Notice that there are a number of additional elements to the architecture.  The main input to the MainRouter in my HomeLab is through the WiFi Bridge, a Gl-iNet SLATE router.  That in turn goes into a managed switch, RemoteSwitch, which has a trunk line to my MainSwitch through Two TP-Link AV2000s.  The MainSwitch in turn poses the flow as the [WAN] vlan to the WAN port of my MainRouter.  Having the trunk line between two managed switches gives me great flexibility in how I arrange items in my HomeLab.  In fact I can put part of my [SRV] vlan in the living room where the main input equipment goes.  The MainSwitch also connects to other equipment in my HomeLab as necessary.  Normally I have almost a 30 dBm signal drop between the WiFi Access Point in the living room and my large back bedroom.  This input architecture resolves that.

I have an RPiGateway which is being primed to host input ports into my HomeLab from the outside.  As it turns out I can access RPiGateway from anywhere on the Retirement community campus; I just can't access it from the outside (and I don't need to, I'm not working now).  

Over on the right of the diagram is a problem that was solved through the use of a simple switch.  I have a Sleep-Number bed and it requires a WPA/WPA2 shared key encryption setup on 2.6GHz.  It is also a bit fussy on the level of the signal that it connects to.  So in that respect I have a DIR-505L which is connected to the SSID1 and retransmits a WPA/WPA2 shared key setup to the Sleep-Number bed since WPA/WPA2 is not available from the main WiFi setup.

I have a Tempest Weather station on my balcony which has a hub that was not able to receive the WPA/WPA2 shared key setup from the small bedroom, so it is now connected to a NEWIOTSSID coming from my Unifi AP AC Pro access point.  I also have a SRVSSID broadcast from that access point that I can connect to with my personal laptop in order to perform admin functions on my HomeLab while on my balcony.

I am also using the NEWIOTSSID to connect to a series of Tasmota switches mounted in my HomeLab Rack for the purpose of controlling power to several devices, since I may only have need of a couple at a time.