Labels

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Added a new 802.11ax Router to the Apartment

So I have purchased a new router, the Gl-iNet FLINT (GL-AX1800).  The reason that I did this was to optimize the connection between my HomeLab equipment and the apartment WiFi end point.  The FLINT is located 17 and a half feet from the end point and has 4 external antenna.  In addition, the FLINT is based on OpenWRT, which the SLATE was also based on.  Right now, being a new product, the software load is not quite up to the current edition of OpenWRT, but the beta test versions are promising.  I have downloaded the latest Beta and will be updating this router prior to the full software release.  The reason is to be able to setup vlans so that I can also plug in my TV and DVD player without interfering with the HomeLab connection.

After setting up the router in the space in the living room, I am measuring a speed of 400Mbps/400Mbps to the end point when setup as a repeater.  This is the kind of speed gain that I am hoping for.  The WiFi connection is continuing to reset itself and I need to know why.  I have noticed that the main indication of failure is that the DNS is no longer able to work through the connection and that the Weather Station is no longer pushing out information.

Update: so now the FLINT router has crapped out, possibly because I did some setting I shouldn’t have.  I have updated to the latest v4.1.0 beta without any custom values and now it works.  Go figure.

Update2: the problem with the WiFi connection stopping appears to be related to a DNS issue.  I can still ping IPs but just can't use DNS names.  Is this some setting somewhere?