Labels

Thursday, September 22, 2022

Ran Another Test by Connecting to a Different Room Power Outlet

 I ran a different test with the AV2 Powerlines.  This time I purposefully plugged a different AV2000 into my small bedroom outlet to see what the increase in bandwidth would be from the living room to the small bedroom.  Unfortunately, the increase was only about doubling the speed.  I was getting around 93 Mbit/sec throughput instead of 35 Mbit/sec.

The test was composed of putting a new Powerline adapter into the small bedroom, connecting the new Powerline adapter to my HomeLab switch, and running some iperf tests.  The small bedroom circuit breaker is on the opposite side of the breaker box from my large bedroom circuit breaker; and on the same side as the circuit breaker for the living room.  Again this is 25 year old wiring.  I guess in the grand scheme of things I could have an electrician move the wires between the two breakers to get the large bedroom circuit breaker on the same side of the breaker box as the living room circuit breaker.  But, is the increase in speed worth it?  It will cost me money but in the end I will have more bandwidth.

Update: I am now trying to see if there is a different way of putting my Travel Routers and arranging my network in the back bedroom that will increase my throughput to the HomeLab.