Labels

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Added several VMs to the RPi subnet

Last night and this morning, I added a number of VMs to the Mac Mini in order to support development of the RPis and to aid in penetration testing of the subnet.  I pulled the VMs from the bitnami repository (http://www.bitnami.org) and also added some VMs that I already had working.  I am using VMWare Fusion on the Mac Mini to provide the host environment.  The VMs were:
  • RPiDev - an ubuntu VM containing bouml, cross compilers, and Arduino development packages (need to add a VNC server so that I can access the VM from one of the RPis)
  • Joomla - a CMS; here primarily for penetration testing
  • LAMP - a generic LAMP package; planning on adding ajaxplorer, a DropBox like file management system; here for file storage plus penetration testing on a generic Linux box
  • Trac - an issues tracking package
  • Subversion - a configuration management package for storage of source code
I now have the equivalent of 5 different computers running on the subnet in addition to the Raspberry Pis that I have in operation at any one moment.  In addition, I opened up a port on the outside of Router-3 so that I could connect directly to the ssh port on one of the RPis, this will aid in being able to run a VNC or ssh connection remotely.

I will probably have to change the subnet addressing.  The reason is that my home network connects to FIOS via an ActionTec router that has the same subnet addressing.  I don't want the two subnets to ever be confused with each other.