Labels

Monday, May 27, 2013

Music via midi?

Maybe I have added too many things that I am interested in pursuing with the RPis in my possession. However in one of the conversations with people that I work with, I now have become interested I working with the RPi in developing some midi applications, or at least using some already developed applications on the RPi.  I do posses some vintage midi gear that would come in handy here.  I have a DW8000 synthesizer, a Ground Control midi foot controller, a GMan sound module, a SQD-8 midi recorder, a TR-505 drum machine, a smaller midi controller keyboard, and a TR-1 midi thru repeater plus assorted midi cables to make it all work together.  Anyway, this shows that I have made some investment in midi gear and probably means that I should try and resurrect my keyboard abilities which if I remember correctly were sadly lacking back in the day.

I also have some midi related apps on my iPad which could be useful.  I already have a handle on the use of some Linux based midi applications including Jack and some decent sequencers.  I need to figure this one out.  Then again, maybe I should just stick to what I have been planning with the robot.

Maybe a pitch to midi converter via the RPi?  That would be an interesting use of the RPi technology.  Then you could use the RPi to interface to a guitar and play it through a midi setup or sound module. It would only take some fancy FFT processing and some comb filtering to accomplish.  Off turnings could be a problem though.