Labels

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Starting to think about the IMU stick sensor

The Inertial Measurement Unit that I purchased some time ago, has a gyro, an accelerometer, a magnetometer, and a barometric pressure sensor.


I was originally thinking of using it to place onto my iRobot Create to form the basis for determining position.  Past that point, I haven't really given this that much thought.  As I am doing some research on how to use the thing, I am starting to realize that there is much that I do not know about how to use it.  There are many articles on correcting the drift errors apparent from each of these devices.  Never mind that I haven't put together an I2C interface so that I can check it out. In order to get distances from the accelerometer, you will need to do double integrations which are subject to drift in and of themselves. Some of the more interesting articles include:
It would appear from the above that I should change the way that the measurement - calculation stream is done.  I would use the Arduino to gather the info from the IMU on the I2C bus, do some preliminary calculations, and pass the information to the RPi to complete the calculations. The Raspberry Pi would have a better chance of performing the calculations.
More later.