Labels

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Got WiFi adapters TL-Link WN725N to Work

After getting the Netgear wifi adapters to work with my bring-to-work RPi box, I took them out and put them on the RPi at the back of my new ASUS touchscreen.  I then went to MicroCenter and got a couple more, this time they were TL-Link WN725N.  Well, when I booted the RPi box up it didn't work.  Simple explanation is that the native drivers were not usable.  So I got one of the Netgear wifi adapters and put it on the RPi box, to at least get WLAN0 working and connected through my DIR-505L wireless router.  After an update of the software on the RPi, I then started looking for a solution and found it at http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/23338/tl-wn725n-v2-driver-needed-for-linux-3-12-28.   The solution was found on Gordon's site and the following worked great:

wget gordon.d4rc.net/8188eu_3.12.28.zip
unzip 8188eu_3.12.28.zip
sudo cp rtl8188eufw.bin /lib/firmware/rtlwifi
sudo install -p -m 644 8188eu.ko /lib/modules/3.12.28+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
sudo insmod /lib/modules/3.12.28+/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/8188eu.ko
sudo depmod -a
sudo reboot

Thanks Gordon for the tip!  Although the GordonSys site is no longer there.