Labels

Thursday, May 14, 2015

Weather Station Project #17 - Waiting for some parts to Start on the Solar Radiation/UV Sensor

I just purchased a TP-Link TL-POE150S PoE Injector and a TL-POE10R PoE Splitter over the weekend.  What intrigued me was that the TL-POE150S came with a 48 volt power supply to inject power through the Ethernet cable. The TL-POE10R had a selection switch to convert down to 12, 9, or 5 volts prior to splitting the output via a 5.5mm x 2.1mm connector (cable included).  I also picked up a clear sandwich box to put the equipment into.

I ordered a power splitter, power adapter plugs, and power to micro USB adapters from Amazon.

The parts list looks like this so far:
  1. Raspberry Pi B+
  2. Gertduino
  3. Arduino Proto Board
  4. Raspberry Pi No-IR camera
  5. TP-Link TL-POE150S PoE Injector w/power supply
  6. TP-Link TL-POE10R PoE Splitter w/power connector cable
  7. Power splitter cable (1 female to 4 males - 5.5mm x 2.1mm)
  8. Power adapter plug (1 female 5.5mm x 2.1mm to ISO block)
  9. Power plug 5.5mm x 2.1mm to micro USB cable
  10. Ethernet socket adapter (for mounting on wall of sandwich box)
  11. Clear sandwich box (see-through for RPi camera)
  12. RTV to pot up the holes so that water can't get in
  13. Mounting platform and hardware to mount sandwich box on outside
For the moment, I am going to forgo the Pollen Sensor and concentrate on the other two sensors.  I will update this list and add a picture as the stuff comes together this weekend.

Update: I have the power splitter cables in, still waiting on the power plug to micro USB cable to come in.  They were supposed to be delivered on Monday and it is Thursday already.  I can't complain because the adapters were only about a buck apiece.  Somehow they are tied up in Indianapolis, IN under a "Processing Exception", whatever that means.  I may end up ordering the cables from a different source.  Ok, put in another order in case this one doesn't come through.  These cables are apparently tough to find.

I added the picture below to show the new setup with the two sensors on top, on an Arduino breadboard, Gertduino, on top of a Raspberry Pi B+.  There is also a No-IR RPi camera peeking out from between the Gertduino and the RPi.


I am also wondering if I should make the unit multi-tasking.  If so, I could setup my own web service API so that the unit would respond with values from the sensors, pictures from the camera, and potentially other information gleaned from Weather Underground for my weather station.  That way I could minimize the kiosk nature of my RPi Weather Display and use unit as the main source for the display.  That also simplifies the interface with my weewx software connected to the Davis Console.