Labels

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Weather Station Project #18 - Obtained a Weather Underground API Key

I have been in the process of coming up with a way of (1) calibrating the upcoming Solar Radiation and UV sensors for my Weather Station; and (2) determining how I can display the Weather Underground information for my Weather Station on a convenient interactive home display.  So the first thing that needed to be done was to obtain an API key to Weather Underground.  They have made this extremely easy to do, especially for a developer.

I will first use the key to build a data extraction tool to gather solar radiation and UV readings from stations near me so that I can come up with an equation for my sensors that will put me in the ballpark of the more costly ones.  This will allow me to modify the weewx routines on my RPi to accept the new sensor information and then send it on to Weather Underground.

I will then use the key to put together a touchscreen style display controlled via a RPi that will display the current and forecast weather for my Weather Station.  I intend to do this as discussed in weather-station-project-9-building a weather and general info display.  The key is necessary to pull the Weather Underground information.  Of course, it could be used to display the information from any Weather Underground station, but let me build it first.

The general sequencing will be as follows for the RPi Weather Display: