Labels

Friday, May 29, 2015

Weather Station Project #19 - Thinking of Switching to a USB over IP Solution for the Console

I have been having some issues with weewx over the last couple of days.  It has been almost a year (July 2014) since I installed the Vantage Vue Weather Station and weewx on a Raspberry Pi.  Everything has been going real well except for the last couple of days.  It is looking like maybe the SD card is starting to give way because the RPi has been crashing? or weewx has been crashing?  I don't know at this stage.  I need to meter the RPi to get a crash dump if weewx stops working.  I have the RPi setup to start weewx when it reboots, therefore it is more likely that weewx has stopped and the RPi remains running.  I would only know that if the crash dump says so.

In the process of thinking about setting up something here, it occurred to me to split out the USB interface on the console to a different RPi.  If I run a virtualhere USB server on an RPi, for $39, I can access the console USB from multiple clients on my network.  In particular, I can access the USB information from my MacMini, and from additional RPis in the house.  So slipping an additional RPi into the mix gives:


This does not limit my ability to use RPi2 for other USB tasks either.  Since it would be physically located in the living room (and I might be able to run both the client and the server on the same RPi) it would be convenient to have other USB devices connected as well.

Update: This might not be as smooth as I would like.  I currently have the RPi5 separated in its own VLAN in order to throttle the output (so Verizon will be happy).  Gotta think that one over.