Labels

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Setting Up a WiFi bridge for work

I have an interesting issue with a laptop at work.  The wireless has been disabled so that I have to use an Ethernet connection (don't ask).  The nature of the laptop prevents me from being able to connect to my work network and I have to tie into the work guest network which is wireless based.  Right now, what I have is a D-Link DIR-505L which connects to the work guest network and acts as a wireless router with one of my home SSIDs, NAT, and it's own subnet.  I have a wireless bridge, an 802.11g device, which connects to the D-Link and provides an Ethernet connection to the laptop in question.  I would like to not have to tie up 2 of my own devices to get things done.

What I want to do is setup a WiFi bridge on an RPi, using an 802.11n USB adapter, to connect to the work guest network and plug into the Ethernet port for data.  This is just the opposite of what most setups show you.  I could also probably setup an additional VM on my work laptop to provide the same service, but I would rather setup the RPi2 to do this as a matter of course.

My biggest bugaboo will be the capture page on the Guest network.  There doesn't seem to be any easy way to use CURL to setup access to the page.