Labels

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

SynthBoost Project #1 - Idea for Augmenting a Vintage Synthesizer

So I have this Korg DW8000 synthesizer in my room downstairs that is gathering some dust.  I was thinking that I might want to augment its functionality with a Raspberry Pi.  This would allow me to get back into music, and midi, and related programming efforts.  Right now the biggest need is for a Midi Patch Editor.  I have sorta one on my iPad, but to do the same thing on an RPi2 would be neat.

So what would such an augmenting tool do? It depends on what I have access to within the synthesizer itself. If I can interface to the inside, I would have better capabilities, maybe even adding things that the DW8000 synthesizer cannot do in its present form. Let's list the possibilities:

1. A Midi Patch editor that has a user interface that will allow custom changes to the voices
2. SysEx capabilities, including loading patches during live performance; grabbing individual voices from multiple patches to form a different patch
3. A midi recorder/player
4. A midi translator (assumes internal connections); translation of key signature up/down, voice/channel mix, etc.
-- Midi event processor
-- Midi patchbay/merger/router/filter
5. Keyboard shift, multiple voices across keyboard sections (assumes internal connections)
6. Midi foot controller "brain"

More thoughts later.