Labels

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Alterations, Alterations in the Network!

Well I'm back after a long hiatus.  I was consumed with some Security Engineering projects at work and it pretty much took all of my time.  Now I can come back to this network and continue on with my projects.  However, I have a wrinkle in the matrix - I now have to consolidate a lot of my equipment into a space that is much smaller than what I originally had available.  Fortunately, having the layout that I had through the judicious use of vlans and vlan switches, the logical movement is not going to be that complicated.

My big problem with the move is getting rid of things that were in the area that I will be moving into and consolidating the things in other areas that will be necessary to continue this HomeLab project of mine.  I am vacating a room that will shortly be made into a bedroom for the potential of having either my granddaughter or my grandson and wife stay with us.  I am all for that, and it won't happen for another year, giving me time to accomplish what I need.  I am just a hop skip and jump away from retirement anyway.  But now I have to figure on not only my servers, but my main computer in my Personal vlan, and my desk where I piddle with Raspberry Pis and Arduinos.  I also have a new hobby of 3D printing which I will be adding to the HomeLab through an OctoPi interface.  Now I have to deal with lack of power for all these devices in that one room.  I also have to think of possible future inclusions such as servers and whatnots.  I will have to run one or two Ethernet cables to support the move, but that is the least of my problems.  Fortunately, I also have enough APC devices to power up everything.

I have decided that three areas should be enough to do what I want.  I am moving my RPi Cluster and Server/NAS to a shelf unit which was already in place in the room.  I will deposit my main computer that is behind the second firewall into the hutch.  I will then bring the table that I have been using for the main computer into the room and place it where I can do experiments with electronics and small computers.  I am also thinking that I need to setup a terminal at the desk to connect to RPis and computers with VNC over SSH and RPN over SSH.  Seems like I will need to setup a localized certificate authority for everything.  I really have grown to the point that I do not trust anything anymore in terms of moving information across a network, even if it is my own network.

I don't really want to buy any more equipment so I am going to repurpose one or two switches to fit into the network.  I do need to clean up the switches to not reference vlans that are not being used.  In addition, I have to be careful to keep an administrative vlan going between major systems.