Labels

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Checking Power for the Computer Room

So today I am checking the power coming to my new computer room.  I have cleared out most of the things that were in the room, enough to be able to get around and move my equipment into the room.  There were two lines that I uncovered coming from the main panel that went into the tool room.  One went to two outlets through a breakout box: power for the main managed switch and a 4 socket setup on the workbench.  Since I will not be using the workbench much after I move the 3D printer into the computer room, I should be okay with the power draw.  The line is on a 20 amp circuit and the switch does not draw that much.  Having the 3D printer in the computer room allows me to setup an exhaust outlet for when I start doing stinky plastics like ABS, nylon, and PETG.  The other line coming from the main panel goes to a breakout box that is tied to power going into the computer room.  I need to trace down the wires to make sure that I understand where they are going to.  I am hoping that there is not a lot of activity on this power line.

I have been looking for a power meter that I can use to determine what the current draw is on each of these lines so that I can make sure not to exceed 80%.  That should keep the lines cool enough for continuous usage.  I went to Loews last night and got some 12 gauge power wire to hook the first line I mentioned to some of the other outlets in the room.  I need to determine what the power requirements are for the following groupings of equipment:

1. Computer Rack
- 1500 watt APC
- Server One - generic PC with 7 Ethernet ports
- Server Two (future buy) - probably a NUC device
- Raspberry Pi Cluster: 4 RPis, plus 6 usb connector power supply
- 16 port 1GB managed switch
- 8 port 1GB managed switch
- 8 port 1GB switch
- Two WD myCloud devices (4TB and 3TB) plus One backup usb drive (4TB)

2. Hutch
- Smaller APC unit
- Mac Mini
- Two monitors: one with dual HDMI inputs
- powered speakers
- PC laptop docking station
- external 4TB drive
- external DVD burner
- old 3in1 printer for scanning
- Apple TV 3/Roku
- 8 port 1GB managed switch

3. DIY Electronics Table
- Smaller APC unit
- 8 port POE switch
- 8 port 1GB managed switch
- 4-unit HDMI switch
- PC power supply for bench
- One monitor w/attached RPi
- 6 usb connector power supply for RPis/Arduinos
- RPi with 7" LCD screen for monitoring

4. 3D Printer (in Lack table enclosure)
- 3D printer
- OctoPi setup with camera
- power supply for OctoPi
- Ethernet connection from OctoPi to the Hutch managed switch