Labels

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Change in the Weather Station Setup

I was thinking the other day, how much I would like to take away the dependence on one RPi for my weather transmissions to Weather Underground and CWOP.  I just recently purchased a subscription to VirtualHere.  VirtualHere gives the ability for one server (in this case an RPi) to serve a USB device (in this case the Weather Station Console output) to multiple clients.  The idea here is to distribute collection of information to other programs that can deal with it.  One program would be the WeeWX server running on an RPi that performs the interface to Weather Underground, CWOP, and others.  Another program would be to extract the readings and formulate web pages.  WeeWX does a good job of formulating web pages but I want to distribute the function to a different processor so that I can push the weather updates as quickly as I can.  In addition, I can do more things with the information independent of what I am streaming, including multiple weather displays of information.

The new setup of the RPi Cluster on the shelf will be used for this purpose.  Originally, I was intent on only doing networking experiments with the Cluster, but I have had a change of heart since I am nearing retirement.  I also want to be able to incorporate other sensors into the mix to produce a well rounded output to WU and CWOP.  The new computer room with all of these components will be able to give me what I want.  In addition, I can add some VMs to the mix for experiementation on weather prediction, etc.