Labels

Thursday, July 24, 2014

LED Projector Thoughts

I was contemplating the LED Projector today.  My thoughts from about a year ago was to have some sort of way of projecting LED lights onto a wall or the ground for the purpose of having a Christmas display.  Originally, I was thinking that I could project a series of LED light strings onto a polished cone.  If I were to do that, you could be in a car and pass by the display and see some sort of display in the cone itself.  There would be a radial layout of LED strings on the ground that would light up some sort of scene that would be projected onto the cone and then into the eyes of individuals looking at the cone.  That is a little tricky because of the geometry involved and whether the eye level is in a car, or from someone who is passing on the street (a little higher).

My next thought on the project was to have some sort of hexagonal mirror that could be rotated at a certain speed.  By having a linear string of RGB LEDs you would be able to paint out a scene onto a wall by flashing the LEDs on and off at a specific rate.  There are hexagonal mirrors that are available in laser printers.  I have two old laser printers that could provide these mirrors but I would need to figure out how to control them via a Raspberry Pi or Arduino.