Labels

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

New Twist on Mobile Pi Access

I just ordered a XMBC MediaPi package from Amazon (MediaPi on Amazon).  I was intrigued by the fact that it is a self contained box with power supply and USB hub powered from a single power supply input - all you do is add the RPi.  This will save loads of time developing my own package to take into work with me.  All of the important ports are available on the outside of the MediaPi package (located at the back).  The input for the SD card has been moved to the front.  This should allow me to work on RPi projects by bringing it into work, having a wi-fi usb adapter to interface to my DIR505L which then can interface via wi-fi to my iPad/bluetooth keyboard combo.  Best of both worlds.  More when it comes in.

Update (from my review):  ... I
originally got this case for the purpose of having a portable Raspberry
Pi (with usb hub). What attracted me to it was the integrated 4 port
hub, mounting for the RPi B, and having all the connections to the back
(SD card to the front). My case was made in India and came in a
Recycled Corrugated box. Designers are in Great Briton. The case fits
handily in a satchel that I carry to work and alleviates me from having
to carry more than one power supply with associated cables and all that
entails. It is obvious that the case was made for the RPi B as a media
case running XBMC/OpenElec, there are no openings for GPIO or camera
cables that you would use if you were in a hobby mode (meaning you would
have to cut your own). Putting the Pi into the case and connecting the
cables took all of 3 minutes. Getting the lid on is a little more of a
challenge but doable. The Pi clips into a slot made for it inside the
case with two tabs and indentations around the edges. There are two
plastic mounds that are threaded for the mounting points on the RPi B
and two screws are included for this purpose. When you get the lid on,
there are two additional screws included for the back to make sure the
lid doesn't come off. Additional niceties include an LED for the front
that indicates when power is applied, an on-off switch on the back so
you are not compelled to unplug the power supply each and every time.
The instructions are adequate to get you going but do not go into any
great detail about orientation of some of the components (like the SD
slot on the front). I noticed this morning that there is a row of red
LEDs that can be seen through the louver on the back, when I shutdown
the RPi these red LEDs went out and seemed to indicate that it was okay
to turn off power (have to verify that one). The only complaint I would
have is that the SD slot on the front seems to be under a lot of
pressure and pushes the case up so that is does not fully join between
bottom and top on the right side front. That is a minor nit. The case
itself is not flimsy, but I wouldn't try storing the largest book you
own on it or throwing it around a lot. It doesn't look half bad sitting
on a table, i.e. I wouldn't feel embarrassed having it in my living
room. I'm kind of cheap so the $60 price tag did throw me off
initially, but the components seem of decent quality. The fact that you
get a "true" current feed coming out of the 4 port usb hub is nice (3
amp power supply, allowing for 0.5 amp for each usb port, plus 0.7 amp
for the RPi, and 0.3 amp remaining for the rest). That is something
that you normally don't get from most over the counter usb hubs (most 7
port usb hubs have a 1-1.5 amp power supply and the usb spec says each
port needs to provide 0.5 amp apiece - you do the math!).