Labels

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Weather Station Project #3 - Setup of RPi

I worked on the interface from RPi to the Vantage Vue console last night.  I started with the latest version of Raspbian but found that raspi-config would not allow me to open up the SSH server.  I back peddled to the July 2013 version and that seemed to give me the ability to setup the SSH server and then update/upgrade to the latest versions of the software.  I was using portions of the procedure from Weewx on Rasp! (Chris Davies-Barnard).  I used the instructions to setup the weewx user, install the prerequisites, install weewx, and configure.  I have not tested the weewx install with the console at this point, that is tonight.  Update to follow.

Update: I added the weewx software to the RPi and then proceeded to put the USB interface on the Vantage Vue.  But, I didn't turn the power off to the console before mounting it!  That I believe is a mistake.  Now, I cannot get the weewx to communicate with the console.  My only hope is unplugging the power and doing a hard reset to the console.  Hopefully the USB port will come up like I want it to.  Otherwise, I am out the cost of the USB port and/or possibly a console which was messed up.  My setup is below.



I did some thinking about how I wanted to add both a UV and Light (for Solar Radiation) sensor to another RPi and connect it to the weewx software.  This should be easy since weewx is written in Python.  Here is my idea so far: