Labels

Friday, July 31, 2015

CC#5 - Going to try out some ideas over the weekend for Cord Cutting

So yesterday I signed up for SlingTv in an effort to look at things that I might use to do a little Cord Cutting.  In case you are mystified as to why I am doing this, consider that I will be retiring in as little as 2 years and I need to cut costs to my home budget.  I am currently spending over $2400 per year for FIOS.  That has got to change.  Fortunately, SlingTv has a 7 day trial offer on the table that really looks attractive.  The downside is that it is a single unit streamer and there is no cloud dvr capability.

I am not sure what I will be able to do with this since one of my "must haves" is to be able to record the Food Network.  I am aware that I can sort of get archived recordings but my wife likes to record the stream on our FIOS DVR and watch it later when we are not occupied with work or errands.  This is the nature of recording the shows, not that we are going to sell or trade the shows with someone, but that we are not around when the shows are on that we want to watch.  The networks end up penalizing customers who simply want to watch their shows in a different time slot when they prevent recording for personal use.  There is nothing illegal at all about recording for personal use, but the networks are using things like the DMCA to force everyone to use their business model. Well, I have to cut the cost or I drop everything - period.

So, this weekend the experiments are to:
(1) try out SlingTv to see what it has to offer and see how the streaming holds up on my internet connection.
(2) finish setting up Mythbuntu on a VM to connect to my OTA setup running through the HDHomeRun Connect system.  Need to figure out the connection to my upstairs tv though.
(3) potentially try out WMC using the OTA setup through my Ceton Echos.

More Later ...