Labels

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Stuff for VLANs in the House

Ok, I think that I have figured out how to create some VLANs throughout the house.  I only need 3: one to mask off the MOCA gateway from the rest of the network [MOCA], a VLAN to constrain all Wireless connections (with a possibility of changing one MAC address to a different VLAN) [WIRELESS], and the third to be the main VLAN for personal stuff [PERS].

I also have some interesting requirements:

(1) the VPN needs to be able to get to the [PERS] VLAN for access.
(2) the HDHomeRun Prime needs to be able to spew forth on the [PERS] and the [WIRELESS] VLANs.
(3) I want to minimize the $$ outlay for any managed switches.

I found a managed switch (Netgear GS108T-220NAS)  at Staples for $109 that seems to be able to do the trick (1GHz).  I will be using the VLAN capability on the Buffalo (WZR-HP-G300NH) router (1GHz) and a corresponding VLAN capability on both of the OpenWRT routers (100MHz).  Other than that I need only the existing Cat-5 cable in the house.

--LW