Labels

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tried Working with the New Switch

Ok, so I thought I understood the VLAN concept.  However, the description and setup on the new managed switch was different than what was described on the Buffalo router.  So in confusion, I have left the router and switch in the current state.  It is interesting to note that when I put the managed switch in place of the unmanaged 1GHz switch everything worked just fine.

I spent a good part of today figuring out what VLANs were going to what ports and where the trunking was going to take place.  It turns out that the easiest way to setup VLANs is to work with a port - trunk metaphor.  Trunks carry packets with VLAN tags and ports strip the tags off or put the tags on.  So the trunk carries more than one VLAN.  Anyway, that is how I learned it.

I need to go back and read the DD-WRT way of setting up VLANs to figure out how to set the switch up correctly.  Right now it doesn't appear too difficult as to how I will proceed once I understand the setups.

-- LW